Pavia is located in northern Italy with 70,000 permanent residents and over 26,000 students. It is located just 30 km south of Milan, connected by regional and suburban trains every 10 minutes.
From Pavia, it is also easy to reach the Swiss border; the lakes of Como and Garda, among others; as well as Genoa and the Ligurian coast.
Founded in Roman times with the name of the Ticinum, it was the Longobard capital for over two centuries from 568-774. Its fascination remains intact with the centre’s maze of narrow streets, ancient churches and elegant buildings, all bordered by the River Ticino.
Cultural life in Pavia is rich with 19 museums and collections, 12 cultural centres, 4 cinemas and theatres, a music conservatory and 2 civic schools of music and arts.
Pavia enjoys the advantages and services of nearby Milan but offers a calm, captivating and cooperative environment with a higher quality of life. The countless events, festivals, exhibitions, concerts, meeting places, and university sports events offer students a unique university experience.
Facts and figures
- 26400 students, 1500 international students
- 1800 professors, lecturers, native language teachers and administrative staff
- 92 Bachelor and Master programs
- 24 PhD Programs
- 49 Professional Post-graduate Programs
13 International (English Taught) degree Programs
- Artificial intelligence (Bachelor)
- Medicine and Surgery (6 years single-cycle MSc)
- Molecular Biology and Genetics (Master)
- Computer Engineering (Master)
- Electronic Engineering (Master)
- Electrical Engineering (Master)
- Industrial Automation Engineering (Master)
- Civil Engineering for Mitigation of Risk from Natural Hazards (Master)
- Economics, Finance and International Integration (Master)
- International Business and Entrepreneurship (Master)
- World Politics and International Relations (Master)
- Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Sciences (Master)
- The Ancient Mediterranean World: History, Archaeology and Art (Master)
The University of Pavia
- 18 Departments
- 22 University Residences
- 37 Libraries
- 1250000 Books and Journals
- 2800 scholarships
- 1 University Language Centre
- 500+ International partnerships
- 700+ Erasmus exchange agreements
What our students say
“What you expect when you plan a visit to an Italian town is to see ancient buildings, to experience grand medieval architecture, and to enjoy being part of a unique and lively environment. Pavia is this kind of town. The old University, its perfect location, the good public services around town, and the availability of study facilities offer the necessary conditions to facilitate the learning process. Thanks to the work of the many students’ organizations, entertainment is guaranteed: you will never be bored here!”
Ruslan Minich, Ukraine, graduate in World Politics and International Relations
Why study with us
Public University means excellence at affordable tuition fees and government scholarships
Safe and beautiful City-campus, with a college residence system unique in Italy dating back to the 16th century
The University of Pavia is one of the oldest and prestigious universities in the world